4.17.2009

A New Post... April 16

Hey all!

So we were not able to join in any crazy TEA parties on tax day... We didn't even have to mess with taxes this year. Since I've been in China for 2 years now and Lacy almost 1 we didn't have a lot of US income to claim. So that was nice to evade. In saying this, I believe that I'm taking a bold stand here and saying that because we haven't really paid any taxes in America, it's not really our place to say what should or shouldn't happen in government. Yes I have my opinions and I certainly have my beliefs and values that strictly hold to Biblical truths. I just don't believe that I should have a "say", a "vote." I should leave that up to the ones who actually pay taxes and contribute to the "greater good" of our country. You'll probably say that is a relative term or process of thought, and maybe I'm wrong. I'm willing to discuss this with anyone who may have a different idea.

The reason I say this is basically because I have pride, American Pride. I like to think that our flag waves and is a beautiful symbol of freedom. I work at a Chinese-American University in Zhengzhou, China. So when there is anything special that is going on at the university they tend to begin the ceremony with the Chinese National Anthem. This anthem is very important to the people, as it should be, because it is their countries song. It is called "March of the Volunteers." and here are the words;

Arise, ye who refuse to be slaves;

With our very flesh and blood Let us build our new Great Wall!

The Peoples of China are in the most critical time, Everybody must roar his defiance.

Arise! Arise! Arise! Millions of hearts with one mind,

Brave the enemy's gunfire, March on! Brave the enemy's gunfire,

March on! March on! March on, on!

I say all of this because directly after they play the Chinese Anthem, they begin the "Star Spangled Banner." Nothing against the Chinese anthem at all... but in comparison, the Star Spangled Banner is absolutely beautiful. The idea of our men and woman fighting for what we have as a country, pride, freedom, constitutional rights. All of this put together brings tears to your eyes. When I hear our anthem at a baseball game it moves me, but when I hear it in China, it breaks me. To think how drastically our government is changing and how careless they are spending money, writing bills, signing them into law within 24 hours of them being written. I'm not sure who is able to read 1000 pages in that short of time. With any bill, large or small, I would think there would be a massive amount of scrutiny involved. There are people who are adding things to the bill just to get them to pass, or what you would call "fat" or "pork." Things that are not at all productive.

Anyway, back to representation without taxation... I think that we need to have a better system, I'm sure all of us do, one side or the other. Maybe it all lies in the hands of the people who are paying the bills. I know that when I was a child, I didn't get much of a say about most things my parents were paying for. I didn't get to choose where we lived, what kind of car we had, what we purchased at the grocery store etc etc. Why? because I wasn't paying the bills... They were loving and would ask me what I wanted or what my preferences were, bottom line though, if they were paying for it, they had the last say.

In 2006, 41% of Americans paid no income taxes according to the Tax Foundation. This is a pretty steep number if you ask me. So basically, 59% of the people in america are paying income taxes. Maybe those who aren't shouldn't get much of a say when it comes to electing officials. If you want a say, get an honest job, pay your dues and vote. If not, no problem, live with the decisions made by those around you.

No comments:

Post a Comment